Being mindful during the holiday season can actually be achieved – with a little moderation and helpful tips. Tis the season to be jolly and imbibe responsibly in holiday spirits. As women, this is especially critical because we metabolize alcohol much more slowly than our male counterparts.
As William Shakespeare so eloquently wrote in Mac Beth, Act II, Scene III:
“ Drink, sir, is a great provoker….Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance.- “
Women need to be especially mindful when consuming alcohol. There are various reasons for this: their smaller body size, different % of body fat and slower enzymatic metabolism of alcohol. All of these create a higher blood alcohol level in women compared to men.
A “standard” drink means any alcoholic drink that contains approximately 0.6 fluid ounces or 14 grams of “pure” alcohol. This equates to:
- · 12 fluid ounces ( fl.oz) of regular beer
- · 8 fl.oz. of malt liquor
- · 4-5 ounces of table wine
- · 3 ounces of fortified wine ( sherry or port)
- · 2 ounces of cordial, aperitif
- · 1.5 fl.oz of “hard” liquor – 80-proof ( 40% alcohol content).
5 Holiday tips to stay mindful (and not hung-over the next day!)
1) Drink lots of water. Before ordering that glass of cabernet or margarita on the rocks, remember to drink a glass of water. Have one glass of water per each alcoholic beverage. Hydration (and moderation) is key!
2) Eat food: Choose healthy options, if possible. Skip the salted chips with onion dip and go for the veggies with hummus dip. By eating food, you will slow the rate of alcohol absorption into your body.
3) Alternate with water or non-alcoholic drinks. This will keep your hands busy as well as keeping you hydrated.
4) Don’t cave into peer pressure. If you don’t want to have that extra drink, politely say “No”. You’ll be happy for it in the morning.
5) Have a plan to get home safely. Designate a driver for the evening who agrees not to drink during the evening’s festivities and is responsible for getting everyone home safely. Or, take a cab if needed. The cost of fare is well worth it!
For tips on how to stay mindful with all parts of life, please register for the Vibrantly You Well Being Symposium. For the month of December, we will be cutting the price for each ticket, from $97 to $75!
Please see discount code: R & C to obtain discounted price.
A savings of $22 dollars a ticket! Invite some friends and celebrate January with a boost of healthy energy and excitement! To register, go to: www.vibrantly-you.com
Lighting the way…